This is an mp3 blog attempting to document the gross amount of music I listen to. About once a day, I'll post something I like. If you're a copyright holder on anything I host, get in touch, and we'll settle things in a steel cage instead of a courtroom.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Go-Betweens

A familiar story for those who listen to indie pop: fairly talented group from England/a country England colonized makes sweet pop songs that appeal to indie sensibilities/you can makeout to after your bi-monthly thrift store excusrsion, produce one killer album (16 Lovers Lane, in this case), and then proceed to overstay their welcome. Such is the case for Austrailian popsters the Go-Betweens, who truly have some amazing songs but lack the consistency of, say, the Smiths.

I know they had a bunch of albums that preceded it and many more that came afterwards, but nothing in their catalogue, or really much in the realm of indie pop, can touch 16 Lovers Lane. They were the missing link that caused Renee to walk away to meet up with Belle and Sebastian.

I've had this song in my head all day because I spent all afternoon and some of the early evening hanging out with Cristina, doing Springfield on $0 a day. For those of you who missed out on all my histrionics and self-absorbed diatribes, when Cristina and I broke up freshman year of college, suffice it to say I didn't handle it in the best/most mature way possible. It took me a while to work through my issues, and I'm glad I did. Every time we hang out, it reminds me of why we were such good friends in the first place. Once there's a enough distance, I'm sure Kate and I will be friends again one day. As the Go-Betweens sing, "love goes on anyway!" The fundamental relationships and bonds you form with some people may strain and seem to break, but they don't. If there was a strong relationship as the foundation, time takes care of all the rest.

A friend of mine recently had her heartbroken (won't say who, in case she doesn't want me broadcasting to the tens of you who read this). It's hard and may seem like the end of the world, Mrs. Bolan, but it'll get better. This is a promise from someone who's been there twice.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/4617790/Go_Betweens_Love_goes_on_.mp3.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home