This is an mp3 blog attempting to document the gross amount of music I listen to. About once a day, I'll post something I like. If you're a copyright holder on anything I host, get in touch, and we'll settle things in a steel cage instead of a courtroom.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

You feel it in what bone again?

I spent a great portion of tonight looking at a picture of us and listening to Atmopshere's "Painting." I don't even know what the words are - the crying slide guitar is all I need. Tomorrow won't come soon enough.

So what else am I rocking tonight in the midst of my drunk loneliness? I spent yesterday curled up on the floor drinking cheap beer, calling people I never call, and listening to REM until I was almost unconscious. The first person to say the word "Kurt" gets a kick in the shins. Tonight is Chuck Ragan. Figured it'd be something she likes too. Well, she likes Rumbleseat and tolerates Hot Water Music, so Chuck's solo stuff is a halfway point that more than placates her.

We've seen him twice and dude hasn't let down. It's stark folkish music that grabs you by the shirt collar and won't let go. Both times we've seen him I have been virtually unable to take my eyes off the man. Some people were birthed to be entertainers and some are meant to be charasmatic, and Ragan was meant to be both. If you can listen to "The Boat" (especially the part that goes "I feel it in my bones when the storm is close!" bit) without getting chills or at least being a little fucking affected, well, I hope you enjoy being too jaded for life.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a little drunk. Maybe it's that Chuck rules. Maybe it's the fact that these songs can cut you right to your core and are as raw as an open wound. If I ever pull a Luke Wilson, I'd definitely want some Ragan song playing instead of some Elliot Smith mewling. (Man, fuck that guy. He's worse than Conor Oberst.)

Holy crap I'm wasted. Remind me and tomorrow I'll post shit from before AFI were all dressing like girls. It's quite good stuff, in all honesty. The video for "Third Season" proves they weren't ridiculous. Mostly this will just be a reflection on how a band I've followed since basically the beginning would become a Top 40 phenomenon.

Chuck Ragan! Shit rules. Go to bed, America.

The Boat - http://www.mediafire.com/?zmntm04j2m1

Hearts of Stone - http://www.mediafire.com/?5tywmajz0g5

God Deciding - http://www.mediafire.com/?1zr1cydcnag

Fixin' to Die - http://www.mediafire.com/?1jwsjjzabdj

8 Comments:

Blogger gabbagabbahey said...

man, I love that guy. 'The Boat' is like everything you get in a HWM song, all the emotion and the intensity, except it's just one guy and a guitar. Amazing

7:42 AM

 
Blogger spike. said...

Chuck's acoustic stuff is just fantastic. Hearing the HWM songs done only on a beatup acoustic only solidifies what Some Of Us have always known - Those are some amazingly well-written and moving songs, no matter what the volume.

Goddam Matt, were you wearing guyliner when you wrote this? Or are you just a Late Night Emo?

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Matt Ramone said...

Sorry about that. I occasionally have bouts of psychotic, drunken depression where all I do is chug 40's and listen to punk rock. It passes, and then I go back to being my snide self for like another 10 months.

4:22 PM

 
Blogger luridtraversal said...

Come to Poland, and we'll get mind-fuckingly trashed and roam the streets of Warsaw together!!! This is Droog from LJ, by the way...

You sound like you need a good vacation...

10:46 AM

 
Blogger Capt. Graham Bulance said...

yes. on everything you said about chuck, matt.

also, i post on punknews as Michael Berryman and i think your posts are my favorite. i don't post a lot on there cause i seriously hate most of everything posted, but your's always make me laugh.

8:19 PM

 
Blogger Capt. Graham Bulance said...

yes. on everything you said about chuck, matt.

also, i post on punknews as Michael Berryman and i think your posts are my favorite. i don't post a lot on there cause i seriously hate most of everything posted, but your's always make me laugh.

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Matt Ramone said...

Dude, we need to join forces. We have a posse!

2:44 AM

 
Blogger Capt. Graham Bulance said...

ok. do i need to do anything besides drink Jameson?

11:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home