This is an mp3 blog attempting to document the gross amount of music I listen to. About once a day, I'll post something I like. If you're a copyright holder on anything I host, get in touch, and we'll settle things in a steel cage instead of a courtroom.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"They put bombs in my dreams!" - Channels (and Medications, too)

Holy shit, readers! Has it really been a week since I last updated? I'm quickly turning into the Mitch Clem of audio blogs. Well, I imagine my drinking problem is more refined, but whatever. I've just been super busy reacclimating to the working world, partying in Richmond with some truly awesome people (big props to Cristina and Landis for putting me up and driving me around), working on features for Racket (my new article, "How To Name Your Band," should be up pretty soon), and prepping for interviews with Hank Williams III (rock!) and Good Charlotte (yuck).

Anyway, onto today's post. This Friday, the Black Cat mainstage will be hosting two of DC's best contemporary groups, Channels and Medications. I'm fairly excited to see headliners Medications, but I'm super fuckin' stoked for Channels.

Channels is J. Robbins' (Government Issue, Jawbox, Burning Airlines) most recent project. They only have one release out - 2003's Open EP - but they've got a full-length in the pipeline that's supposed to come out really soon on Dischord. They've got kind of an alterna-rock sound, but so have all of other Robbins' other projects, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. However, instead of the post-grunge formula of chugga chugga chugga + grunted angst = $$$, Channels takes a lot of angular twists and turns, and the deliberate rhythm changes are all classic Robbins. Besides, he always manages to find great drummers - Darren Zentek kills it on the skins. I'm expecting a thoroughly rockin' stage show this weekend. If nothing else, come out of respect for a man who did a big part to make the DC scene as good as it is.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/5838565/Channels_Chivaree.mp3.html


While I'm looking forward to seeing Channels more, I expect Medications won't be half bad. Even though vocalist Devin O'Campo (Smart Went Crazy, Faraquet) frequently ventures dangerously close to the Thom Yorke school of I-sing-like-I-had-a-stroke-last-week, it's pretty interesting. Compared to most math rock, it's warmer and more interesting than, say, Mars Volta (if not as immediate as Tabula Rasa). The melodies certainly help keep one's attention when the band goes in eight different directions in the course of five minutes. I'm pretty excited to see Andrew Becker behind the drum kit, 'cause that dude fills gaps like an Alabama dentist. Anyway, this track is from their first full-length, 2005's Your Favorite People All in One Place, which I mostly endorse.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/6696468/Medications_Magazines_For_Entertainment.mp3.html


If you're coming to the show, let me know so we can drink and yell things together. It may be a benefit show, but that doesn't mean it'll be lame.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it, Mr. Attention-Grubber.

10:26 PM

 
Blogger Matt Ramone said...

I'm gonna guess this is Amanda.

10:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong!

3:11 AM

 
Blogger Matt Ramone said...

Then whom?

6:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A stalker. Obviously. I intend to carve your diseased liver into little hearts.

12:24 AM

 
Blogger Matt Ramone said...

Ahhh, must be Flo.

12:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite off-base.

12:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home