This is an mp3 blog attempting to document the gross amount of music I listen to. About once a day, I'll post something I like. If you're a copyright holder on anything I host, get in touch, and we'll settle things in a steel cage instead of a courtroom.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Good bad not evil but super killer

Sorry for not ripping the Hall Monitors or Slick Andrews yet. I've been having hell-of problems with my music files. Seriously, thanks to problems with an external hard drive, I may have lost 180 gigs worth of mp3's. For a music junkie like me, this isn't a good development. More as this travesty continues.

Fortunately, one of the albums I've managed to retain is the Black Lips' latest effort, Good Bad Not Evil. A writer who's better than I am said they sounded like Altamont, which is fair. They've got the 60's groove thing going on, but they also sound dangerous, dark, and especially violent. Their earliest recordings sound like they're going to jump out of the shadows and knife you for the modest contents of your wallets, and as they flee your bleeding, mortal corpse, it's all you can do to thank them for their liberation. If Robyn Hitchcock listened to nothing but the Teenage Shutdown series, you'd start to get an idea of what they sounded like.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the live. I saw them once with Andrew at the Drunken Unicorn, and they all dressed up as Mexican day laborers. I can't remember the last time I bought a band beer, but this was one of those times. They tear it up hardcore, and bless 'em for it. If you've not seem them live, do yourself the favor. It's flower power that hands you one of those lapel flowers that squirts water. Or chloric acid. Your choice, sado.

Katrina: http://www.mediafire.com/?cbfydxvrmy1

Slime and Oxygen: http://www.mediafire.com/?0xozljuxztl

1 Comments:

Blogger AmyM said...

I absolutely love those guys, and they deserve the success they are getting now. They came back after the death in an auto accident of a founding member and have worked their asses off. They are also incredibly nice, regular guys, despite the wild shit they do onstage.

2:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home